Jenny Kwan (1967 - )
Jenny Kwan is a ground-breaking politician from Vancouver. She was the first Chinese-Canadian cabinet minister in British Columbia, and a senior member of the provincial caucus of the NDP.
- In 1993 at age 26, she was the youngest city councilor in Vancouver’s history.
- When she was elected MLA in 1996, she was one of the first Chinese-Canadians to sit in the BC Legislative Assembly.
- From 2001 to 2005, Kwan and NDP colleague Joy MacPhail were the only MLAs in Opposition in the BC Legislature. The Liberals outnumbered them 77 to 2.
- Kwan speaks Cantonese fluently.
- She has a bachelor of arts in criminology
- Her full name is Jenny Wai Ching Kwan.
- Kwan was born in Hong Kong and immigrated to Canada when she was nine years old.