Rachel Notley (1964 - )
Premier of Alberta
Rachel Notley is Premier of Alberta, leading the first NDP government in Alberta’s history. She grew up in a passionate political family and was inspired to improve her home province through her work.
- Her father was Alberta NDP leader Grant Notley. When she was a college student, she challenged him at a public meeting on poverty and student debt. “Mr. Notley,” she said, “my parents make too much money for me to get a loan, yet my parents are so cheap and I am so hungry. What would you recommend for me to do?” Her father gave her a $20 bill when the meeting was over.
- Her mother was an activist, taking Notley to protest marches before her tenth birthday and contributing to her political and social awareness.
- Notley has university degrees in Political Science and Law.
- As a lawyer, she focused on labour, workers’ compensation advocacy, and workplace health and safety issues.
- In 2015 she apologized to the Aboriginal community of Alberta on behalf of the government for its history of neglect and abuse.